Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Updated September 2014
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior
1213 Natural Sciences I
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, California 92617
Phone: (714) 880-9594
2013 – Present Ph.D. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Irvine
2012 B.S. Biological Sciences, University of California, Irvine
2012 B.A. Psychology, University of California, Irvine
2014 – Present Top Hat Specialist, Rose, Mueller, and Greer Laboratories, University of California, Irvine
2014 – Present Interviewer, Santa Ana High School Senior Exit Interviews, Santa Ana High School, Santa Ana, California
2014 – Present Coordinator, UCI-LA NHM BioSCAN Collaboration, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Laboratory of Catherine Loudon, University of California, Irvine
2014 – Present Research Assistant, Pritzker Neuropsychiatric Disorders Research Consortium, University of California, Irvine Site, Irvine, CA
2014 – Present Resident Scientist, 10th Grate Biology Class of Ms. Nelida Rojas, Santa Ana High School, Santa Ana, California
2013 – Present Founding President, Science Honor Society, Irvine, CA
2013 – Present Graduate Student, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Laboratory of Dr. Laurence D. Mueller, University of California, Irvine
2013 – Present Volunteer Scientist, Grades 6-12 “Ask-A-Scientist Night” and Irvine Unified School District Science Fair, Irvine, CA
2012 – Present Assistant Specialist I & Clinical Research Coordinator, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Laboratory of Dr. Julie Patterson, University of California, Irvine
2011 – Present Volunteer, Medical Volunteer Services, UCI Medical Center, Orange, CA
2010 – Present Senior Intern &Webmaster, Network for experimental Research on Evolution, University of California Systemwide
2013 – 2014 Webmaster, John Q. Tran, D.D.S. Family Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA
2012 – 2014 Webmaster, Christ Cathedral (Formerly: Saint Callistus Roman Catholic Church), Garden Grove, CA
2012 – 2014 Advisor, Vietnamese Graduation Ceremony Committee, University of California, Irvine
2012 – 2013 Webmaster, Lien Ca Đoán Tam Biên (Vietnamese Choir), Garden Grove, CA
2010 – 2012 Operations Manager & Volunteer Coordinator, Vietnamese International Film Festival, Santa Ana, CA
2010 – 2012 Experiment Leader, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Laboratories of Dr. Laurence Mueller and Dr. Michael Rose, University of California Irvine
2010 – 2012 Clinical Research Assistant, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Laboratory of Dr. Julie Patterson, University of California Irvine
2010 – 2012 Chair, Vietnamese American Coalition, Irvine, CA
2010 – 2011 Volunteer, Vietnamese International Film Festival, Santa Ana, CA
2009 – 2010 Treasurer& Historian, Vietnamese American Coalition, Irvine, CA
2008 – 2009 Intern, Vietnamese American Coalition, Irvine, CA
5. Rose, M.R., Greer, L.F., Phung, K.H., Rutledge, G.A., Phillips, M.A., Anderson, C.N.K., Mueller, L.D. (In Review) A New Hamiltonian Demography of Life History.
4. Phung, K.H., Rose, M.R., Mueller, L.D. (In Preparation). Transient age-specific adaptation to a novel environment.
3. Rose, M.R., Rutledge, G.A., Phung, K.H., Phillips, M.A., Greer, L.F., Mueller, L.D. 2014. An evolutionary and genomic approach to the challenges and opportunities for eliminating aging. Current Aging Science Novel Approaches to an Old Problem: Insights, Theory and Practice for Eliminating Aging. (pdf file 290 kb)
2. Rose, M.R., Cabral, L.G., Phillips, M.A., Rutledge, G.A., Phung, K.H., Mueller, L.D., Greer, L.F. 2014. The Great Evolutionary Divide: Two Genomic Systems Biologies of Aging. In A.I. Yashin and S.M. Jazwinski (Eds.), Aging and Health – A Systems Biology Perspective. Unionville, CT: S. Karger SG. (Available 10/13/2014)
1. Phung, K.H. 2012. Seeing Past the Stigma; the Vietnamese-American Perspective on Mental Health. Non Sông Magazine. 19:66-69 (pdf file unavailable)
1. “How to Control Your Aging (looking good in liquid nitrogen)”. Contributed talk, Alcor-40 Conference: Shaping the Next 40 Years, Phoenix, Arizona, 2012.
2. “Age Matters in Evolutionary Mismatch: how to control your aging”, Contributed talk, EvoS at BU, Binghampton, New York, April 2013.
3. “Diet and Aging: Adaptation to Novel and Ancestral Foods”, Contributed talk, Fifth Western Evolutionary Biology Meeting, Irvine, California, May 2013.
4. “Impact of Background Noise on Brain Responses to Tones in Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder”, Poster presentation, Brain Awareness Conference 2013, Irvine, California, May 2013.
5. “Genome-wide Convergence with Repeated Evolution in Drosophila melanogaster”, Contributed talk, UCI Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Seminar, Irvine, California, May 2013.
6. “Rapid Divergence and Convergence of Functional Characters in Experimentally Evolved Populations of Drosophila”. Conference: Evolution 2014 Conference, Raleigh Convention Center, North Carolina, June 20-24, 2014. Authors: James N. Kezos, Thomas T. Barter, Larry G. Cabral, Grant A. Rutledge, Mark A. Phillips, Kevin H. Phung, Laurence D. Mueller and Michael R. Rose
2010 – Present Network for Experimental Research on Evolution, Grant, UC Irvine
2011 – 2012 Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, Grant, UC Irvine
2011 – 2012 Summer Undergraduate Research Program, Grant, UC Irvine
2011 – 2012 Inter-disciplinary Summer Undergraduate Research Experience, Grant, UC Irvine
2012 Excellence in Research, UC Irvine
2011 Poster Award, Excellence in Research Symposium Finalist, UC Irvine
2011 Excellence in Research, UC Irvine
2010 Excellence in Leadership, UC Irvine
2013 – Present Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS). Mentoring an undergraduate in biological research coupled with guidance in professionalism and advancement in academia.
2012 – Present Mentoring Undergraduate Researchers, Laboratory of Julie Patterson, University of California, Irvine. Co-authored scientific papers with 4 undergraduate researchers from UC Irvine. Supervised and managed several research teams, a total of 40 students over the course of two years.
2014 – Present Alumni, Francisco J. Ayala School of Biological Sciences Alumni Organization, Irvine, CA
2012 – Present Alumni Board Member & Webmaster, Vietnamese American Community Ambassadors, UCI Alumni Association, University of California Irvine
2012 – Present Alumni, University of California Irvine Alumni Association, Irvine, CA
2010 – Present Lifetime Member, National Society of Leadership and Success, University of California Irvine Chapter, Irvine, CA